Life Lessons For any Age
7 August, 2015
I came across an article about Regina Brett who is now 90 years of age, and looking very well with it! But it isn’t her current age that you will find most interesting, it’s the fact that at 45 she was diagnosed with Cancer and it took her toll, so she decided to write down her life lessons. The truth is she isn’t 90 she is in fact 54, all of a sudden her wisdom doesn’t seem that great, right?
The interesting thing is that people took heed of her life lessons as a 90 year old and often ask her what her secrets are. To be frank it doesn’t matter whether you middle aged or old aged, if you can take some of these lessons on board they might actually knock years off you!
Below are some of Regina’s life lessons. Every one of them is a sticker on a car or a magnet on a fridge, but I wonder how many actually become a way of living for members of our species?!
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone
4. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
5. Pay off your credit cards every month
6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone
8. Save for retirement, starting with your first paycheck
9. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile
10. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present
11. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
12. Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about
13. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it
14. Life is too short for long pity parties. Get busy living, or get busy dying
15. You can get through anything if you stay put in today
16. A writer writes. If you want to be a writer, write
17. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else
18. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer
19. Burn the candles; use the nice sheets; wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special
20. Over-prepare, then go with the flow
21. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple
22. The most important sex organ is the brain
23. No one is in charge of your happiness except you
24. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: "In five years, will this matter?"
25. Forgive everyone everything
26. What other people think of you is none of your business
27. Time heals almost everything. Give time, time.
28. However good or bad a situation is, it will change
29. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch
30. Believe in miracles
31. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger
32. Growing old beats the alternative — dying young
33. Your children get only one childhood. Make it memorable
34. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere
35. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back
36. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now
37. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved
39. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need
40. The best is yet to come
41. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up, and show up
42. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind
43. If you don't ask, you don't get
45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift